In a shocking development, disgraced ex-MCI president, Dr. Ketan Desai has claimed that Dr. Kunal Saha established PBT only to harass him and tarnish his positive public image (see copy of Dr. Desai’s affidavit below). In response to the PIL filed in the Supreme Court by PBT, Dr. Desai has filed an affidavit in which he has made several absolutely astounding and seemingly unbelievable claims including:
1) Because as the president of MCI and Gujarat Medical Council, Dr. Desai declined recognition of many private medical colleges that were owned by “influential politicians”, frivolous cases are filed to project him “as a villain” (para 9).
2) That Dr. Kunal Saha created “People for Better Treatment” (PBT) solely to “malign the prestige and image” of Dr. Ketan Desai (para 12). Dr. Desai has claimed that because he strictly enforced the provisions of Indian Medical Council Act as the president of MCI, he has been “at the receiving end from influential quarters”. He has further claimed that as the president of PBT for the past 4 years, Dr. Kunal Saha has been attacking him only “to tarnish his image and/or to harass and put pressure” (para 11). Interestingly, PBT was established more than 10 years ago (in 2001) following the horrific death of Anuradha Saha, wife of Dr. Kunal Saha. Anuradha died a result of gross medical negligence by several Kolkata doctors in 1998. Ironically, Dr. Desai was in no way involved with the wrongful treatment of Anuradha. Several PILs including the present one were filed by PBT only after Dr. Desai was caught red-handed by CBI while taking bribe in April, 2010.
3) Because Dr. Kunal Saha lives in USA, he or PBT should have “no concern” for the state of Gujarat or Gujarat University (para 13).
4) Since PBT has claimed that this society is dedicated to fight “medical negligence”, they cannot file any case against Dr. Desai because he has not been charged with medical negligence (para 15).
5) Because Dr. Saha did not contest in the GU Senate election, he should not be aggrieved and he can have no right to challenge the GU election.
6) Ironically, Dr. Desai has implicitly provided clear evidence of corruption during the GU Senate election. On one hand, he has admitted that GU issued notification about the election on 18.11.2010. On the other hand, he has also stated that on the very same day, the only other candidate, Dr. Haresh Bhalodiya (a well-known crony and closest doctor friend of Dr. Desai) withdrew his nomination to allow Dr. Desai elected without any contest (para 17).
Dr. Desai has also blamed PBT website for bringing public awareness by writing against him. PBT will file a counter-affidavit in Supreme Court highlighting these absurd assertions made by Dr. Desai. This case will come up for final hearing on February 10, 2012.